Doing research at JMU

Doing research at UJM

Are you a foreign doctoral student or researcher? Here is some practical information to help you prepare for coming to France and conducting research at Jean Monnet University.

The Espace Ulys Saint-Étienne

International researchers and doctoral students and their families now have a single Euraxess point of contact dedicated to them in Saint-Étienne. The Espace Ulys in Saint-Étienne offers daily support so they can make the most of their mobility in France: entry and residence formalities, family, culture, university life, daily life, housing, etc.

The Espace Ulys is an initiative of the University of Lyon, and a member of Euraxess set up to welcome foreign scientists and their families to the Lyon Saint-Étienne site.

Learn more : the Espace Ulys

The Fondation National Alfred Kastler

To make life easier for foreign researchers in France, the Fondation National Alfred Kastler (FNAK) and the French network of Mobility Centres offer many free services, specially designed to simplify the relocation process. Just by registering, they can benefit from personalised help with administrative formalities, preferential rates on insurance (health, housing etc.), help with opening a bank account, receive a welcome package, etc.

Consult the FNAK formalities guide

Laboratoire Sainbiose ©Johan Méallier

A few tips before you set off

And when you arrive:

  • Meet the Espace Ulys team in Saint-Étienne to ask them any questions and receive support :
    espace-ulys @
  • Apply for your residence permit depending on your situation
  • Remember to sign up for social security (if eligible)
  • Open a bank account
  • Arrange home insurance 
  • Améliorez votre français :
  • Improve your French:
    Contact CILEC at UJM for all information about French language courses. The Espace Ulys Saint-Étienne can also put you in touch with partners offering FFL courses.