Health insurance

Health and insurance

In France, all students must sign up for Social Security (Sécurité sociale). This enables you to have your expenses paid and reimbursed in the event of an illness or accident. Here are the terms according to your country of origin :

You are a student from the European Union

Before your departure, you must obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card gives you access to French Social Security.
It gives you 70% cover (the same as French students). You still have to cover the remaining 30% :

  • either by joining a student mutual fund, namely the LMDE (La Mutuelle des Étudiants) or the SMERRA (Sécurité Sociale et Mutuelle Étudiante de la Région Rhône-Alpes) 
  • or by taking out your own insurance or joining a mutual fund in your country of origin.

You can order your European Health Insurance Card on the website or call them on 3646. 

You are a student from outside the European Union :

You are required to sign up to French Social Security. This is done directly at the following address :

Focus on Jean Monnet University Preventive Medicine Service

At Jean Monnet University, the mission of the University Preventive Medicine service (link in french)  is to provide information, prevention and guidance on all health-related matters. It offers preventive medicine and nurse consultations, as well as vaccinations. It can issue medical certificates (for practising competitive sports and other purposes).
It is open to students every day from Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 12 noon and from 1 pm to 4 pm.

Médecine Préventive Universitaire
Maison de l'Université
10, Rue Tréfilerie
42100 Saint-Etienne 


Useful healthcare addresses in Saint-Étienne

Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM)
1 parvis Pierre Laroque (quartier Gare de Chateaucreux)
42000 Saint-Étienne




For emergencies :

Urgences de l'Hôpital Nord
Switchboard : 04 77 82 80 00
Emergencies : 15

SOS Médecin (emergency doctor)
7 Rue Voltaire
42100 Saint-Etienne
Tél :  04 77 33 30 30

Fire brigade
Tél :  18 or 112

Service d'aide médicale urgente - SAMU (urgent medical assistance)
Tél : 15 or 112

Centre anti-poisons de Lyon  (anti-poison centre)
Tél : 04 72 11 69 11

Planning familial (family planning : contraception, morning after pill, pregnancy testing, STI screening, etc.)
16 Rue Polignais
42000 Saint-Étienne
Tél : 04 77 25 24 91

Student mutual funds:

37 Rue du Onze Novembre
42100 Saint-Étienne
Tél : 04 77 80 02 17
Arrêt tram /Tramway stop   : Tréfilerie

L. M. D. E. – La Mutuelle des Etudiants
2 Place Jean Jaurès
42100 Saint-Étienne
Tél : 3260
Arrêt tram / Tramway stop : Tréfilerie