Student living costs

Student living costs

Average budget for studying in Saint-Étienne

To live in Saint-Étienne, you need to budget for at least €650/month but we strongly recommand €700/month.
Students benefit from certain facilities: university restaurant and cafeteria, the CROUS on all 6 campuses, university accommodation, University libraries, discounts on transport, leisure activities, etc. However, in the first month after arriving, you should allow for three times the usual monthly budget as there will be expenses relating to :

  • moving into the accomodation,
  • university registration,
  • signing up for social security, the various types of insurance (home insurance, civil liability insurance, etc.)
  • connecting to electricity, telephone, etc.

Items in your budget

The table below will give you an idea of what your studies at Jean Monnet University will cost. Saint-Étienne is regularly recommended as one of the most affordable cities in which to study !

University registration for Free Mover students or Visiting students :

According to the regulations in force at the time of registration

University registration for exchange programme students :

No registration fees payable

Compulsory Social Security :


Compulsory Civil Liability Insurance with SMERRA – LMDE :


Other insurance (banks, etc.):

€16.00  per year


Prices vary

CROUS residences :

€254 to €400 per month

Private sector residences :

€350 to €550 per month

Accommodation with host families :

€690 per month

Security deposit and Administration fee :

1 month’s rent approximately

Compulsory “multi-risk home” insurance :

€100 per year approximately

Electricity subscription and consumption :

€50 per month approximately

Maintenance (meals, room cleaning, laundry, etc.) :

€300 per month approximately

Meals at the university restaurant (RestoU) :

€3.30  for a hot meal

Transport with STAS (Société de Transports Agglomération Stéphanoise) :

€35 per month approximately

1 ticket for 10 journeys €10 full price

1 ticket for 1 journey of 1h30: €1.40 full price

Tax stamp for validation of the VLSTS visa :


Grants and financial help

See the Campus France website for information on all grants available according to your country of origin.

Health and student social security

In France, Social Security coverage is mandatory for all students.

Students from European Union
Before their departure, students have obtained the European Health Card, which entitles them to the French Social Security. For students enrolled in a University of a Member State of the European Union, the European Health Insurance Card (CEAM) exempts from affiliation to the French Social Security.

Students are therefore covered in France as a 70% French student. Knowing that they still have to cover the remaining 30%:

  • by joining a student mutual, for example, LMDE (Students’ Mutual) or SMERRA (Social Security and Student Mutual of the Rhône-Alpes Region), to be reimbursed at 100%,
  • by benefiting from a personal insurance or mutual insurance contracted in their country.

Students outside the European Union
International students coming from a country outside of the European Union MUST join the French Social Security.
The affiliation is done directly with the French Social Security :

Usefull addresses
1 parvis Pierre Laroque (district Gare de Chateaucreux,
42000 Saint-Étienne.

Médecine Préventive Universitaire (University Preventive Medicine)
(Maison de l’Université)
10 rue Tréfilerie
CS 82301
42023 Saint-Etienne Cedex 2

Welcoming students every day
From 8h00 to 12h00 am and from 13h00 to 16h00 pm
Phone number: 04-69-66-11-00

La boge

You can find information about daily life and a lot of tips on the Saintememo application or on the website


From the 26th of August to the 7th of October
Tuesdays from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm or Thursdays from 11:00 am to 6:30 pm

La Comète, Espace Info Jeunes, 7 avenue Président Emile Loubet, 42000 Saint-Etienne
Permanences organized in your registration establishments. For more informations, contact your school or University

On facebook @SWDsaint-etienne
Or by email : welcome-student @ (welcome-student @
Or call the hotline at 04 37 28 07 07 (from 6/09 to 29/10 from 9am to 4:30pm without interruption)